Saturday 1 December 2012

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares - M's review


Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

I have saved this review especially to kickstart December!!!! It's a cheesy, fun-filled, romantic, Christmas read.

 

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares is about a red Moleskine notebook that is found by a snarly-looking sixteen/seventeen year old boy in a New York bookstore alongside the JD Salinger titles. Good start. It has clues in it that send him on a bit of a goosechase to find Lily, the ‘writer’ of the first few clues. And it’s Christmastime – December 21st.

The first two chapters are really very promising, alternating between Dash and Lily’s story. Their voices are truly distinct, which is wonderful and either down to the good writing of the individual authors or clever writing by having different authors take on each voice (as they claim to have done in this case). But then, the cat and mouse type chase becomes a bit Christmas-movie-cheesy. And then the story interest picks up again, descends into sit-com cheese again, and so on.

But I stayed with it because I wanted to know what happens. Do Dash & Lily meet? Do they want to get together? And (I can’t believe it is me writing this), will anybody (other than the boys!) kiss??

The writing style will appeal to fans of John Green. Apart from removing some of the cheese, my main gripe with this book is that I wish I'd waited ‘til 21 December to read it (now who’s being cheesy?)! Anyone who likes a little bit of festive, light romance, read this novel in December - and have some fun. Who knows, we might all find little red notebooks with messages popping up around the place. Now that would be dashing!

This novel made me feel all light and cheery (and that has nothing to do with the way the story goes but it does have a lot to do with some of its details), so at the start of December, here's wishing you all a very merry Christmas season.

Who'll be dashing through the snow.......?



Publication details:
MIRA Books, October 2012, Surrey, UK, paperback

This copy: received for review from the publisher

 

8 comments:

  1. I have this sitting on a TBR pile, also waitin for December (great minds definitely think alike), but now that I have read your review, maybe I will wait till later in the month. Thanks for the advice and this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah,and Alex, you're in New York too! Definitely start it on the 21st :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this so much! I just wish I'd saved it until December as well though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun review - agree this is ultra-cheesy but for me that's part of the charm. Perfect fun read, am planning on rereading over Christmas. (And it's only a month or so since I read it, which says everything about how much I loved it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. Yes, the cheese definitely adds to its charm.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for signing up to take part in the British Books Challenge again next year and congratulations to you both for completing this year's challenge, I hope you do as well next year :o)

    This is a great review for Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, I might just have to try and get hold of a copy to read it on the 21st :o) I enjoy a good cheesy read at this time of year LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, do try and get a copy.

      And thanks for hosting the British Books Challenge next year, Sarah.

      Delete

Hi there! We'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment. You need to fill out the word captcha too because of spam. Your comment will be visible after approval.